Moving kbd to subr.el

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Moving kbd to subr.el
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 20:18:20 -0700

> No, skimming that, it's much simpler than I imagined.  Rewriting that
> and plonking it into subr.el would be nice.  I mean, I think we should
> do that anyway, so that we can use `kbd' everywhere.

I've attached a quick proof-of-concept of moving the kbd implementation
to subr.el.  With this, all the tests I have assembled so far pass and
this bootstraps.  It was mostly just a case of ripping out the calls to
cl-lib functions.

If this is something we want to do, I can finish this patch up.  To
begin with, I'd want to look it all over for correctness and add more
tests (ideas welcome).  I guess it would also make sense to just change
`read-kbd-macro' to call kbd, instead of the other way around.