Re: Moving kbd to subr.el

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Moving kbd to subr.el
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 15:33:19 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I didn't say anything has changed, I asked why you didn't leave the
> original "C-x a" intact.

Ah, now I see what you mean.  No reason, it just happened that way as
I wrote this patch up rather quickly.  I'll revert to the old form as
there's no reason to change it.

> Precisely because there could be mistakes, we should not adapt what
> should happen to what did happen, we should keep the previous results
> where we had them.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that we want kbd to
behave in exactly the same way as before.  I very much agree, there
should be no functional change (a.k.a. bug for bug compatibility).
The method I see for ensuring that is to develop all tests using the
old version of kbd (I use Emacs 27.2 for testing) and then make sure
that the new code passes the same tests.