Re: Can't build previous versions of Emacs?

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Can't build previous versions of Emacs?
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 08:49:45 +0800

Karl Berry <karl@freefriends.org> writes:

> FWIW, I was able to compile e21 on a current x86_64 machine running
> Alma Linux 8 (I doubt the os matters much) with the attached.
> Copied in m/amdx86-64.h from 22.3 as a starting point. I didn't try to
> include X support, since I had no interest in it.

Nice.  I was able to build Emacs 19.34 on a modern Fedora system.  I
wrote some new machine files based on the existing Alpha support, but
just that unfortunately did not quite work, since it made assumptions
about the DEC Alpha calling convention.  So most of the work ended up
being writing prototypes for the many implicitly declared functions,
since returning int simply doesn't work (unlike on the Alpha.)

If anyone wants that code, feel free to ask.