Re: EBrowse obsolete?

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: EBrowse obsolete?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 10:56:33 +0300

Doesn't ECB offer pretty good support for C++ anyways? I'm not sure it's an alternative to EBrowse, but I recall when I was into C/C++ that was the package most Emacs users around me where using for browsing the codebase. Haven't used ECB in over a decade, though, so I'm not sure what's its status these days.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2022, at 10:26 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 08:16:40 +0200
> From: Gerd Möllmann <gerd.moellmann@gmail.com>

> I see that ebrowse is still in Emacs, which is something I wrote ~30 years ago.

> I wonder if that is still useful to anyone?

> Actually, in the time of language servers, ebrowse looks almost embarrasingly antiquated to me.

Ebrowse is outdated and doesn't support current C++ standards.

It would be nice to have ebrowse updated to support the current level
of the C++ language, or at least close to that.  Language servers are
problematic for Emacs (I can say more if you are interested, but there
are lots of discussions to find on the Internet): their use is
relatively slow, and some of them present license-related issues.  In
any case, we don't yet have built-in support for them in Emacs (the
package Eglot is supposed to be that, but it is not yet in core).

So it would be nice to have a reasonably useful local solution, if
possible.  But if you think there's no hope for that to happen with
ebrowse, I won't object obsoleting ebrowse.c and ebrowse.el.