Re: EBrowse obsolete?

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: EBrowse obsolete?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 13:12:02 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> It would be nice to have ebrowse updated to support the current level
> of the C++ language, or at least close to that.  Language servers are
> problematic for Emacs (I can say more if you are interested, but there
> are lots of discussions to find on the Internet): their use is
> relatively slow, and some of them present license-related issues.  In
> any case, we don't yet have built-in support for them in Emacs (the
> package Eglot is supposed to be that, but it is not yet in core).

Okay, I'm not sure I wnat to know details, after searching for a GCC
language server, finding patches from 2017, and son on.

BTW.  I happened to try lsp-mode instead of eglot a week or two ago.  It
worked OOTB with Emacs' sources and clangd, which was already installed
on my system.  The only thing one needs is a tool for extracting a
compile_commands.json.  The first I tried, 'bear', also worked OOTB
("make clean; bear -- make" was enough).

No performance problems here, also.

> So it would be nice to have a reasonably useful local solution, if
> possible.  But if you think there's no hope for that to happen with
> ebrowse, I won't object obsoleting ebrowse.c and ebrowse.el.

Okay.