Re: EBrowse obsolete?

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: EBrowse obsolete?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 10:16:36 -0700

On 7/21/2022 9:51 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Visuwesh [2022-07-21 21:46:24] wrote:
Surprisingly, complaints about running LSP over TRAMP comes up really
often in Reddit.

Ah, so that's what you mean by "over the network".  I'm surprised it
comes up that often.  I don't think it's a super-common use case
(e.g. what other editor offers such a functionality?  What do non-Emacs
users do when they have such a need?).

I don't use VS Code myself, but from talking with people who do, my understanding is that it supports LSP over SSH. (VS Code is a bit different in that it requires you to install a specific VS Code server on the remote host though, so maybe the closest analogy in Emacs would really be using emacsclient over TCP.)

For what it's worth, I do a *lot* of editing over Tramp and have tried Eglot-over-Tramp in the past. It mostly works, but it does require a bit of fiddling, since it seems to occasionally trigger a race condition in Tramp code. I vaguely recall a WIP Tramp branch that improved the reentrancy of Tramp code which might fix this, but I'm sure that's pretty tricky to get 100% right.

- Jim