Re: docstring has wrong usage of unescaped single quotes (use \= or diff

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: docstring has wrong usage of unescaped single quotes (use \= or different quoting)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 15:12:14 +0100

Antoine Kalmbach <ane@iki.fi> writes:

> I believe the syntax to get a docstring to show "Blah blah 'foo" to show
> correctly you'd have to write "Blah blah \\='foo".

Thanks Phil and Antoine, I'll try that.

> Interestingly, such errors are not reported by checkdoc, but as you
> mentioned, byte-compilation reports them.

Yep.  Maybe the idea is to be more "aggressive" so that these docstring
issues are addressed sooner.  That's because more people run the byte
compiler than run checkdoc (which is extremely picky and has lots of
"false positives").  So I think I can understand that this is a good
intention.

But, IMHO, introducing such a new warning that has little to do with
byte-compilation is a drag on people working with existing packages and
looking for byte-compilation issues.  Maybe there is a flag to turn off
or demote this warning, and maybe that flag could be used in
elisp-flymake-byte-compile.

João

PS: I'm with the non-fancy/ASCII quote crowd, but I don't oppose
allowing or recommending such fancy quotes in docstrings.  I just don't
want that to hinder my normal workflow when maintaining old packages.