Re: docstring has wrong usage of unescaped single quotes (use \= or diff

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: docstring has wrong usage of unescaped single quotes (use \= or different quoting)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 16:23:48 +0100

> João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But, IMHO, introducing such a new warning that has little to do with
>> byte-compilation is a drag on people working with existing packages and
>> looking for byte-compilation issues.
>
> We've been using byte compilation warnings for ages to make people
> actually fix things that aren't, strictly speaking, necessary for
> getting something to byte compile.  For instance, deprecation warnings
> and warnings about not using save-excursion+set-buffer.

Presumably these warnings tell me something about the
forward-compatiblity, performance, or otherwise functional aspects of my
program.  I do not count the documentation there.  It's not that I don't
pay attention to it, but I don't necessarily do simultaneously when
making my program functionally correct.  This is why we one has
different checkers, and why different checkers check different things.

In the byte-compilation check, this is a hack.  Else we may just as well
add spell-checking to the byte-compiler.

>> Maybe there is a flag to turn off
>> or demote this warning, and maybe that flag could be used in
>> elisp-flymake-byte-compile.
>
> See `byte-compile-warning-types'.

Thanks.

João