Re: [ELPA] New package: perl-doc

From: Akib Azmain Turja
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: perl-doc
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 13:16:31 +0600

Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi Harald, Akib,
> * Harald Jörg <haj@posteo.de> [2022-07-27; 17:59]:
>> Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:
>>> Set "Man-width" to the width of documentation frame.  I don't know how
>>> to do it Info, however there is a user option "Info-refill-paragraphs".
>>> Any suggestion from Info hackers?

I just found how to do this, just set "Info-refill-paragraphs" and
"Info-hide-note-references" to non-nil and set "fill-column" to the
desired text width.

>> Ah, excellent.  Again and again I learn that it is wrong to say "Emacs
>> doesn't do X" but instead I should ask "How do I do X in
>> Emacs"?
>
> I used to setq Info-refill-paragraphs to t, but as the
> documentation says, "this only has an effect if
> Info-hide-note-references is non-nil"

That's non-nil by default.

> and then one should
> "be prepared for a few surprises if you enable this
> feature".

Yeah, sometimes you'll be surprised seeing a few too long or too short
lines, but these aren't so big problems IMHO.

> For me the refilling of info was not worth these surprises.
> And nowadays my display is wide enough anyway.

Yeah, now almost all computers have a wide enough display.  But that
doesn't mean that someone will use the full display for a single task.
For example, I often have a Info window on the right side of my display
when I new try something new, and I want it to be as small as possible
while still allowing me to read text on that window without scrolling,
to give me more space for writing and other tasks.

--
Akib Azmain Turja

Find me on Mastodon at @akib@hostux.social.

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  It's fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5