Re: [ELPA] New package: perl-doc

From: Harald Jörg
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: perl-doc
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 20:58:16 +0000

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

>>>     Harald> I have failed to find a hook for a change of window
>>>     Harald> width, but man.el simply uses an idle timer to check for
>>> changes.  I'll
>>>     Harald> adopt that in my code.
>>>
>>> It sounds like you want a buffer-local `window-size-change-functions' in
>>> combination with `window-old-body-pixel-width'.
>>
>> Correct: I want exactly that!
>>
>> In the meantime I had discovered window-state-change-functions (used in
>> man.el) which is not quite as good.
>
> Why do you think it's not quite good?  It's called when the window
> is resized too.

I should clarify: Using window-state-change-functions works fine!

I meant it is not quite as good as window-size-change-functions because
a function in windows-state-change-functions is also called in
situations where I don't need it to be called (e.g. after a M-x
other-window command, or when the window loses focus).  So it is a small
improvement to use window-size-change-functions.
--
Cheers,
haj