Re: Docstring hack

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Docstring hack
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 09:27:35 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 10:17:54 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > TBH I don't really understand your 5 alternatives, because you are
> > alluding to symbols I cannot find in the sources: I see neither
> > read_literal_string nor dynamic-docstring.  Are those typos or am I
> > blind?
>
> I think he means read_string_literal and
> byte-compile-dynamic-docstrings.

OK, but I still lack some glue to understand the issue.  Specifically:

  . the OP said "strings that are erroneously treated as docstrings in
    dump mode" -- where's the code which makes that mistake, and how
    is read_literal_string related to that mistake?
  . why isn't there an alternative to fix read_literal_string not to
    generate zero instead of the format template? the other
    alternatives all look like partial kludges to me