Re: Docstring hack

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Docstring hack
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 19:43:38 +0300

> From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 12:32:27 -0400
> Cc: luangruo@yahoo.com, emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
>  Does this happen with any package we actually preload via loadup.el?
>
> If you're not going to support using site-load except in the most trivial of
> ways, then you should say that in the
> documentation.

Did I say that we are not going to support this?

I asked an informative question, with the purpose of figuring out how
urgent it is for us to fix this issue.  Do I really deserve a cold
shower for asking such questions?

> But if you're not going to be willing to take up such bug fixes on some
> general principle (that I don't
> understand in a free software project), that would be useful to know.

I didn't say that, either.  And I couldn't really give any specific
answer to such a general question, because it depends on what kinds of
bugs and in which parts of the code you will report.  I could only
answer such question on a case by case basis.

> Personally, I am going to proceed with the last option (the fifth)

TBH I don't really understand your 5 alternatives, because you are
alluding to symbols I cannot find in the sources: I see neither
read_literal_string nor dynamic-docstring.  Are those typos or am I
blind?