Re: ELPA submission: python-import

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: ELPA submission: python-import
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 21:01:38 +0200

On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 at 13:58, Philip Kaludercic <philip.kaludercic@fau.de>
wrote:

> I am not saying it isn't impossible, but if there is a dependency on
> project.el, it might make sense to raise the minimum version of ELPA's
> python.el?  Alternatively, one could try and reduce the minimum version
> of project.el, but that might be tricky.

That would be very desirable (respectively sad if impossible).  One of
the improvements I would like to propose next is a project-dedicated
version of the Python shell (analogous to project-shell).

So that's already 2 features that would depend on project.el.

In principle it should be possible to declare that users of Emacs ≤ 26
need to stick to python.el ≤ 0.28, but I guess the package manager
doesn't allow this kind of thing, right?

> We have recently added compat as a dependency for ERC, but that only
> required support back until 27.1.  Sadly it isn't as simple as just
> adding (require 'compat nil 'noerror) at the top of the file, as compat
> is neither complete not transparent.

Okay, for sure compat doesn't free you from knowing about the history of
the features and limitations of the compat replacements.  But is there
any deeper reason why adding (require 'compat nil 'noerror) can be
problematic?