Re: ELPA submission: python-import

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ELPA submission: python-import
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 12:25:53 -0400

> I suppose two things speaking against it:
>
> - The package depends on two external tools (isort and pyflakes) that
>   are popular but neither built-in nor de facto standards.
>
> - Sometimes the heuristics used there can be wrong (e.g. if relative
>   imports (IMHO usually a bad idea anyway) are used).  I haven't used
>   the package enough to judge how much of a problem this is.

FWIW, I don't find those to be good reasons to keep the code separate.
It's quite common for some parts of the functionality of a major modes
to be less thorough (e.g. depend on the presence of some unusual tool,
or depend on specific conventions, ...): it's not ideal, but it's better
than nothing, and also makes it "obvious" where to improve the code.
IOW it can encourage further improvements.

        Stefan