Re: ELPA submission: python-import

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: ELPA submission: python-import
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:07:33 +0200

Hi Philip,

See my response to your comments below.

But more importantly, since now the plan is to add those features to
python.el, which is built-in but also extracted to be distributed on
ELPA for Emacs ≥ 24.4 --- have you thought of a scheme whereby one could
use new Emacs features on those kinds of packages, but then
automatically stick a (require 'compat) at the top of their ELPA
version?

On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 at 17:53, Philip Kaludercic <philip.kaludercic@fau.de>
wrote:

> Why do you depend on Emacs 28.1?  Setting aside convenience functions
> like length=, all you really need is project-files from Emacs 27.1,
> right?  And if you add a dependency on the right version of project.el
> that implemented that function, you could even reduce the (transitive)
> dependency to Emacs 26.1.

I'm also using the MODES argument of the `interactive' form.  But yes, I
have no good reason to require 28 other than being unfamiliar/not
remembering the history of the new features, which makes it hard to
"promise" compatibility with older Emacsen.

> I am not familiar with isort, and I suppose there are other lightweight
> Emacs users like me who haven't heard of it either.  It might therefore
> be good to add a link to some documentation, especially on how to
> install it since that can sometimes be tricky when using Python.

Sure, I'll will do that.