Re: ELPA submission: python-import

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: ELPA submission: python-import
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 17:53:48 +0200

Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to submit the following package to ELPA:
>
>     https://github.com/astoff/python-import

Why do you depend on Emacs 28.1?  Setting aside convenience functions
like length=, all you really need is project-files from Emacs 27.1,
right?  And if you add a dependency on the right version of project.el
that implemented that function, you could even reduce the (transitive)
dependency to Emacs 26.1.

> Its purpose is to edit the imports at the top of Python files more
> conveniently.  There are already several packages for this on MELPA.
> This one relies on the isort program for the editing and code analysis,
> which is hopefully a reasonably robust solution.

I am not familiar with isort, and I suppose there are other lightweight
Emacs users like me who haven't heard of it either.  It might therefore
be good to add a link to some documentation, especially on how to
install it since that can sometimes be tricky when using Python.