Re: ELPA submission: python-import

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: ELPA submission: python-import
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 17:35:55 +0200

On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 at 18:18, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 16:15:29 +0200
>>
>> I would like to submit the following package to ELPA:
>>
>>     https://github.com/astoff/python-import
>>
>> Its purpose is to edit the imports at the top of Python files more
>> conveniently.  There are already several packages for this on MELPA.
>> This one relies on the isort program for the editing and code analysis,
>> which is hopefully a reasonably robust solution.
>
> Thanks, but would it perhaps make sense to add this to python-mode
> that we have in core?

I suppose two things speaking against it:

- The package depends on two external tools (isort and pyflakes) that
  are popular but neither built-in nor de facto standards.

- Sometimes the heuristics used there can be wrong (e.g. if relative
  imports (IMHO usually a bad idea anyway) are used).  I haven't used
  the package enough to judge how much of a problem this is.

That said, if someone else gets the chance to give the code a good test
and is convinced by it, I wouldn't mind at all to have it added directly
to python-mode.