Re: Docstring hack

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Docstring hack
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 03:52:24 -0400

> I think the problem is this:
>
>   (format <control string starting with escaped newline> args...)
>
> will result in (format 0 args...) during dumping.

Ah, I see.  This is a hack I'd like to get rid of, indeed.

AFAIK nowadays it's only useful for those docstrings found in
lisp/loaddefs.el since it's the only Lisp file we still scrape for
docstrings (to put them in etc/DOC).

[ E.g. If we were to byte-compile `lisp/loaddefs.el`, then it wouldn't be used
  at all any more, I believe.  We have loose plans o do that, but
  someone needs to dig into it to see what that breaks and how to fix it.  ]

IOW we can tighten the test in `read_string_literal` to replace strings
with 0 only in this one specific case.

        Stefan