Re: Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 11:16:50 +0200

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

>> What about using the "C-x 4" prefix?  We could define a new prefix map
>> bound to "C-x 4 h", then have all the bindings in *Help* be in the map
>> prefixed by "C-x 4 h".  For example, "C-x 4 h I" will run a command
>> which will produce the same effect as help-goto-lispref-info, using
>> the current *Help* window as its starting point.
>>
>> We could support "C-x 5 h" prefixed key sequences in a similar manner,
>> for people who have Info buffers or *Help* buffers in another frame.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> 'C-x 4 h' and 'C-x 5 h' are quite mnemonic and convenient to type.
> What I tried to do is to adapt this to windmove to support a window
> in any direction, but in any case they all could use the same
> internal general function.
>
> So this allow to support more commands than the currently limited set of
> scroll-other-window, scroll-other-window-down, recenter-other-window,
> beginning-of-buffer-other-window, end-of-buffer-other-window.

I forgott to type in previous mail:

In general, (I think) that allow to support commands that are available in
selected-window, to be executed in other-window, but does not have access to
commands defined in other-window, and naturally we can't executed commands from
selected-window if they are not supported in other-window. With other words, if
set of commands from selected window is S and set of commands in other-window is
O, than this will work in on the intersect of those commands, S∩O. Perhaps there
is more to it, but I think that is the minimal requirement (the commands has to
work on both buffers).

Potentially it can also result in many bug repports and /r/Emacs threads where
people wonder why it does not work some command Foo in other buffer.