Re: Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 17:04:03 +0300

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Cc: juri@linkov.net,  manuel@ledu-giraud.fr,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 15:53:22 +0200
>
> The interactive form has to be the very first form in a function body, which
> makes it impossible to just wrap the entire function  into
> with-selected-window.

I still don't understand why you need the entire function to be
wrapped in with-selected-window.

> However, that is just a side note as answer to your remark, but unfortunately
> have found that there is a bigger problem. I am not sure if it is Emacs or my
> X11 window manager, but I do suspect the WM in this case.
>
> I have both in my WM and in Emacs that focus should follow mouse. Now what
> happens is that, despite the function jumpiing to correct Emacs window on
> another frame, due to cursor being in old frame, all input goes to the old
> frame, so at least this particular function does not work with multiple
> frames.

I don't understand: I thought we were talking about causing the other
window to do something without the user selecting that window.  So why
does it matter where input goes? what input do you want to go to the
non-selected window or frame?

For example, the command "M-PgUp" scrolls "the other" window without
selecting it, and I don't want in this case to have input switched to
that other window.  Same will be my expectation when there will be a
command to show me the source of a function whose doc string is
displayed in the *Help* buffer shown in the other window: I want just
to see the source in that other window, I don't want to start typing
there.

What am I missing or misunderstanding?  Why are you suddenly talking
about redirecting input?

> I do have another question too: what is a good strategy if there are multiple
> info
> windows open? Prompt user to select with a completing read, or just leave
> as-is,
> i.e. return the first info window?

You are talking about a situation where multiple *Help* windows are
shown?