Re: Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 18:15:49 +0300

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Cc: juri@linkov.net,  manuel@ledu-giraud.fr,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 17:06:24 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> >> Cc: juri@linkov.net,  manuel@ledu-giraud.fr,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >> Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 15:53:22 +0200
> >>
> >> The interactive form has to be the very first form in a function body,
> >> which
> >> makes it impossible to just wrap the entire function  into
> >> with-selected-window.
> >
> > I still don't understand why you need the entire function to be
> > wrapped in with-selected-window.
>
> Because part in the interactive form would like to do some work in the info
> buffer
> too. Since we have called function from some other buffer it simply wont
> work before switch to info buffer.

Then use with-selected-window inside the interactive form.

> > I don't understand: I thought we were talking about causing the other
> > window to do something without the user selecting that window.  So why
> > does it matter where input goes? what input do you want to go to the
> > non-selected window or frame?
>
> Yes we are; but some functions prompts user for additional input, and if the
> info is in another frame but the one with the focus, than minibuffer does not
> get the focus, and the input instead goes into the frame where mouse
> cursor/point is. See more further down.

I don't understand: prompts are in the minibuffer, so are you saying
that there's some situation in Emacs when a Lisp program prompts the
user, but the minibuffer with the prompts doesn't get input focus?
That'd be a terrible bug in Emacs in general, not related to the issue
we are discussing.  Please report such a bug ASAP!

> Not *Help*; I am asking about multiple *info* windows.

A prefix arg should be able to solve at least some such problems.