Re: Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Re: Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 15:49:17 +0200

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

>> I hope I am not misunderstood here. I certainly don't dislike what Juri
>> does; on
>> contrary. I made that Reddit thread because I very much was looking for
>> something similar, and I am using pre/post hack myself. However I see some
>> fundamental issue in how Emacs works, which I am not sure can be easily
>> overcom,
>> but if Juri can fix them I will certainly be a happy user :).
>
> It seems these fundamental issues can't be fixed without changing core
> functions.
> The problem is that another window's buffer should be selected before reading
> a key sequence in it and executing the bound command.  So the only reliable
> alternative is to have global keymaps with tons of commands that use
> with-selected-window.
> To make them at least more general that just Help/Info specific, a better
> pattern
> would be to base these commands on 'scroll-other-window', e.g.
>
>   (defun forward-char-other-window (&optional n)
>     (interactive "P")
>     (with-selected-window (other-window-for-scrolling)
>       (forward-char n)))

Hi,

Maybe I'm missing something but I thought that Arthur proposition was
more specific to "help" buffers.  So maybe following this pattern it
could be something like this:

  (defun scroll-other-help (&optional lines)
    (interactive "P")
    (with-selected-window (other-help-window)
      (scroll-up-command n)))

… but then, we'd have to imagine what 'other-help-window' is.
--
Manuel Giraud