RE: [External] : Re: Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buff

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:00:29 +0000

> >> Please use the "C-x 4 h" prefix for "other-window help" commands, not
> >> just "C-x 4".  Otherwise we will run out of key sequences too quickly.
> >
> > Dunno if this is what you meant, Eli, but I
> > initially thought that Juri was suggesting
> > `C-x 4 s' and `C-x 4 i', and for that I
> > would have said what you said.  I strongly
> > oppose gratuitous binding of `C-x 4'.
> >
> > Then I noticed that Juri's suggesting the
> > Help-specific prefix `C-h 4'.
>
> I think Eli suggested specifically in some previous email to bind C-x 4 h
> to help-mode-map, so that all help-mode commands are available as 5 or 6 keys
> combinations, like C-x 4 h s for view-source.

FWIW, that suggestion from Eli is a fine one.

I was responding only to the fact that Eli
talked only about `C-x 4' and Juri wrote
only about `C-h 4'.  I thought maybe Eli
didn't notice the `C-h'.

My concern, which I thought was also what
Eli was expressing, was not to gratuitously
add to the `C-x 4' prefix.  (IMO, `C-x 4 h'
as a prefix for help commands that use the
other window is fine - not gratuitous waste
of a `C-x 4' prefix.)
__

The rest of your msg doesn't seem to be a
reply to mine (?).

To be clear, I'm not requesting anything about
scrolling other windows.  I rarely, if ever,
have any need to scroll other windows.