Re: [External] : Re: Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buff

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 15:53:05 +0200

>> > we can bind Help-specific wrappers in the Help keymap, e.g.:
>> >   'C-h 4 s' to run 'help-view-source' in the Help buffer.
>> >   'C-h 4 i' to run 'help-goto-info' in the Help buffer.
>>
>> Please use the "C-x 4 h" prefix for "other-window help" commands, not
>> just "C-x 4".  Otherwise we will run out of key sequences too quickly.
>
> Dunno if this is what you meant, Eli, but I
> initially thought that Juri was suggesting
> `C-x 4 s' and `C-x 4 i', and for that I
> would have said what you said.  I strongly
> oppose gratuitous binding of `C-x 4'.
>
> Then I noticed that Juri's suggesting the
> Help-specific prefix `C-h 4'.

I think Eli suggested specifically in some previous email to bind C-x 4 h to
help-mode-map, so that all help-mode commands are available as 5 or 6 keys
combinations, like C-x 4 h s for view-source.

I don't think scroll command is implemented as help specific commands; you have
end/beginning of the buffer, next/previous page, as well as next/previous link
(button). Do you really need scroll command too? I mean we mostly just read
help.

When it comes to some potential general key for doing stuff in "other-window"
via pre/post hook, only one is needed, since it will do stuff in any
"other-window" not just help or info; however, some windows are usually *not*
other-window, or very seldom, like those special buffers. With a "remote"
control like wrapping their commands in with-seleceted-window and putting their
mode-map on a prefix-key, which becomes a "buffer remote control", those special
buffers can be excluded from "other-window" consideration totally, so they are
never considered the "other-window" at all. If it is useful or not, I guess is a
personal preference.