Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 00:26:32 +0300

On Sat, 2023-06-17 at 17:19 -0400, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    That's fine, let's not discuss it then.
>
> You've not explained what is hard, you raised multiple preferences,
> but not _why_.  Sending an email to emacs-devel@ with a patch, even
> without following those eight bullets is not hard -- people seem to be
> doing it all the time.

Well, I don't know how, but you managed to completely miss my point. First of
all, this isn't a "preference", I enlisted actions that you *don't* do with
other projects, actions that create mental load. And then I also mentioned that
basically 90% of devs would expect such things to just work.

The reason I asked you if you ever contributed to other projects is because the
only reason you'd ask me what's the problem with development workflow here is if
you just have no other experience.

> Your responsibility as a contributor ends as soon as you fixed
> whatever issues are raised by the maintainters, and they commit the
> patch.  There is no need to look at some CI machinery to know if you
> screwed up -- it sorta isn't your problem.

Well… You are right. But then how do you expect a contributor to become a
maintainer when they see problems? 🤷‍♂️