Re: [External] : Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 01:46:53 +0300

On Sun, 2023-06-18 at 13:29 +0000, Drew Adams wrote:
> > Emacs is the unique project that tracks patches
> > in the bugtracker, so if you don't know yet that
> > bugtracker is used to send a patch,...
>
> (I don't have anything to say about the main point
> being discussed in this thread.)
>
> Wrt `M-x report-emacs-bug': We've discussed in the
> past the fact that this is also the way to send an
> enhancement request, and that that might not be
> obvious from the menu item and command name, or even
> from the doc string.
>
> I don't think we ever came up with a "solution" that
> might make clear that this command is a general way
> to provide feedback to help improve Emacs.
>
> I don't have a great suggestion for that, but I do
> think it would be good if we came up with something.
>
> "Send Feedback (suggestion, bug, patch...)"?
>
> Someone seeing the menu item won't necessarily check
> the doc string.  But still, the doc string could
> maybe point out that you can use the command to send
> other feedback, and not just report something that
> you're convinced is a bug.

Sorry, just notice your email.

I think it's better to add a separate function, sort of `M-x
send-patch-to-emacs`. Because `report-emacs-bug` has a lot of information
unrelated to sending a patch; and then I think I may be useful to add some
other information that is specific to sending a patch but useless to sending a
bug report.