Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 05:57:21 -0400

   > > You can't send a patch if you don't know how and where to send it 😊
   > > So you can't avoid reading that section.
   >
   > I cannot help but wonder how a person who is unable to read several
   > short paragraphs of text would have learned the programming languages in
   > which Emacs is written.

   The point is not (in)ability to read. The point is the additional mental load
   from the many additional actions that are needed to contribute.

What about the mental load of the maintainers?  Those chapers exist
for a reason, to make life easier for both contributors and
maintainers so that there is a well documented, agreed upon, standard
to follow.

And you're not even required to read them, the only action you have is
to send a patch -- if even that, since there are plenty of times when
someone sends a suggestion and the maintainers or someone else
implement the feature!  There are literally no additional actions.

Emacs is a luxurious project in that regard, and the little nod once
in a while to read one or two chapters is the least we can do to thank
those that do the daily work.