Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:22:16 +0000

Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru> writes:

> On Sun, 2023-06-18 at 10:00 +0000, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>> Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru> writes:

>> > You can't send a patch if you don't know how and where to send it 😊 So you
>> > can't avoid reading that section.
>>
>> I think `submit-emacs-patch' is supposed to help here.
>
> You would need to know it exists.

True, but that can be fixed.

>>  But I don't get how this is a Emacs/ML specific issue?
>
> We are discussing possible improvement to Emacs-specific contributing
> workflow.

My point is that this is an issue that all projects have in some sense
or another.  You always have to find out how they work, and what you
need to do to submit a patch.

One idea (but I don't know if this is practicable), is to use the
configure script to set up Git's `sendemail.to' option or to add
`vc-default-patch-addressee' to .dir-locals.el.

--
Philip Kaludercic