Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:04:32 +0300

On Sun, 2023-06-18 at 17:25 +0800, Po Lu wrote:
> Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru> writes:
>
> > The point is not (in)ability to read. The point is the additional
> > mental load from the many additional actions that are needed to
> > contribute.
>
> That effort is minimal, compared to the effort it takes to write the
> code.

These two are uncomparable. The "effort to write the code" is something people
often feel joy in doing. Whereas effort related to pushing your changes upstream
is just something necessary. You need to go through it, but it's usually not
something people enjoy doing.

And to make sure we're on the same page: note that I do not say "sending
patches" section alone is problematic (also below there's a discussion on
possible improvement to it), my point is there lots of such "unnecessary stuff",
which accumulates.