RE: [External] : Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:29:35 +0000

> Emacs is the unique project that tracks patches
> in the bugtracker, so if you don't know yet that
> bugtracker is used to send a patch,...

(I don't have anything to say about the main point
being discussed in this thread.)

Wrt `M-x report-emacs-bug': We've discussed in the
past the fact that this is also the way to send an
enhancement request, and that that might not be
obvious from the menu item and command name, or even
from the doc string.

I don't think we ever came up with a "solution" that
might make clear that this command is a general way
to provide feedback to help improve Emacs.

I don't have a great suggestion for that, but I do
think it would be good if we came up with something.

"Send Feedback (suggestion, bug, patch...)"?

Someone seeing the menu item won't necessarily check
the doc string.  But still, the doc string could
maybe point out that you can use the command to send
other feedback, and not just report something that
you're convinced is a bug.