Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 00:16:22 +0300

From: Konstantin Kharlamov<hi-angel@yandex.ru>
Cc:ams@gnu.org,emacs-devel@gnu.org
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 12:18:09 +0300

You can't send a patch if you don't know how and where to send it 😊 So you
can't avoid reading that section.
False.  People know how to reach us even without reading.  The few
Emacs mailing lists are common knowledge, and are just an Internet
search away if someone needs that.
Okay, let's conduct an experiment. Suppose I am a new contributor who never
contributed via MLs. So first I search for "Emacs contribute". I get this URL
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Contributing.html
There I see a suggestion to implement a new feature and submit a patch. So then
I use page search for word "patch" to see where are details on how to do that. I
find a link "Sending Patches". There I find a suggestion to send it to
bugtracker, and then various points about MIME types, what needs to be done,
etc.

In what case do you imagine such new developer would not need to read that
section and still will successfully send a patch? 🤷‍♂️
All of them.  I never had anyone asking where to send a patch.  People
sometimes say they are not sure whether they send them to a correct
forum, but they do send them to the right place nonetheless.

You don't see people asking where to send the patch because they simply stop at that point. Or they spend some time searching the web and trying.

Most people who know where to send the question, will probably have found the bug tracker as well by that point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias#/media/File:Survivorship-bias.svg