Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:05:45 +0300

> From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>
> Cc: Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru>, eliz@gnu.org,
>  luangruo@yahoo.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 11:26:37 +0200
>
> To make this constructive: If this is intended to be easy, I’d have
> imagined something like this (using Sending Patches as base).
>
> ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------
>
> To contribute patches please make them easy to use for maintainers:
>
> - patch format: Send patches with explanation in a single email as MIME
>   attachment or inline. Create your patches with diff -u (with the old
>   version as first version) or with ~git format-patch master~ (for
>   commited changes) or ~git diff~ (for uncommited changes).
>
> - commit log: Include a commit log entry in the correct style. They are
>   described in
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Format-of-ChangeLog.html
>   Look at earlier commits for examples.
>
> - target address: Send unfinished patches for discussion to
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org. Send fixes for an existing bug to the
>   <number>@debbugs.gnu.org address of the bug. Send new bug-reports with
>   fix to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.
>
> - patch content: Please send atomic changes: we’d rather get two emails
>   than one that mixes concerns. For new bugs, use ~M-x report-emacs-bug~
>   to include the information needed for bug-reports.
>
> For more details, please read at
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sending-Patches.html

This refers to other places, so if the reader needs to read them, the
gain is largely an illusory one: you must read those referenced places
as well.

Summary is only useful in cases like this if the details are
non-essential.  If they _are_ essential, a summary with references
doesn't make the reading simpler or shorter.