Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:00:01 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Maybe the text should make that clear, so this should not be "for more
>> details", but "for explanations of these rules, please read
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sending-Patches.html";
>
> Those are neither "more details" nor "explanations", they are what we
> expect from a perfect patch submit.  I don't see how we can omit them,
> if we want to describe our conventions in full.  Without such a full
> description, that whole section is unnecessary.

That sounds like improving the average patch submitted would be useless
if the instructions are not perfect for every case.

But that risks losing contributors because they give up when reading the
instructions.

The goal is easier onboarding. Any hurdle in the way of sending a good
patch¹ causes fewer good patches to be sent — and more bad patches,
because people then don’t read the section at all (or don’t even find
it, because on the website only CONTRIBUTING is linked with a description
that indicates that says that this is about contributing).

¹: good need not be perfect, but good enough to make maintenance easy.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein