Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:57:54 +0300

On Sun, 2023-06-18 at 11:26 +0200, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------
>
> To contribute patches please make them easy to use for maintainers:
>
> - patch format: Send patches with explanation in a single email as MIME
>   attachment or inline. Create your patches with diff -u (with the old
>   version as first version) or with ~git format-patch master~ (for
>   commited changes) or ~git diff~ (for uncommited changes).

While at it, I think it may be worth to improve this a bit as well. I presume
the "old version as first version" refers to Emacs before it started using git?
I think there's no point to mention it because if you contribute to a project,
you always need the very latest code, in which case there's git support. So I
think `diff -u` mention may be removed. Perhaps:

    - patch format: Send patches with explanation in a single email as MIME
attachment or
      inline. Create your patches with with ~git format-patch master~ (for
commited
      changes) or ~git diff~ (for uncommited changes).

And I'm also wondering if there's any point mentioning `git diff` as well. I
think
it's reasonable to expect most people know how to use git and they probably
have made
commits, so the `git format-patch` is the way to go.

But even is a person is complete newbie, having to `git-diff` and then to write
commit message manually is uncomfortable, because you have to write the message
anew
every time you address a review. It may be better to just suggest to do `git
format-patch` instead.