Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:59:42 +0200

Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru> writes:

> On Sat, 2023-06-17 at 14:36 -0400, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> open sources projects only requires finding out their upstream URL,

And usually creating an account, putting SSH keys into it, and so forth …

> in Emacs case you
> also need to go read HUGE "Sending patches" section.

This sounds like a writing problem: such a section should be quick to
read. Do you have concrete ideas how to slim this down?

Maybe with some simple examples how to send the patches.

> And then if that's not enough, from what I've seen maintainers also
> expect you to have read CONTRIBUTE section, which is absolutely large,
> much bigger than "Sending patches". (to be fair, if you are a new
> contributor, you won't know it exists because "Sending patches" has no
> mention of it).

Same here. I see quite a bit of explanation in the CONTRIBUTE file that
makes that longer than the information a contributor really has to know.

> more complicated. You see: these are complete no-brainer in 90% of projects.
> But
> every time I contribute here I have to think about such stuff which is
> completely
> irrelevant to the changes being sent.
> And how do you even get a link where to send new patch revision? I have two
> dozens
> email notifications coming to my email everyday. So I will have to search
> through all
> that stuff.

Can this be improved with changes to debbug emails sent? Or to the
debbug web interface?

For a github project (to name the elefant in the room) you also have to
know the URL, but there it feels easier. Can we make that easier in the
existing infrastructure?

Best wishes,
Arne
--