Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:52:17 +0300

> From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>
> Cc: ams@gnu.org, hi-angel@yandex.ru, luangruo@yahoo.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 12:30:04 +0200
>
> > This refers to other places, so if the reader needs to read them, the
> > gain is largely an illusory one: you must read those referenced places
> > as well.
>
> You don’t have to read those places. I took care to ensure that all the
> essential parts for contributing a patch are in my shorter version.
>
> The reference to other places is there for people who think they have
> special requirements or want to understand *why* the rules are as they
> are.

AFAICT, without reading all those places the instructions are
incomplete.  We might as well just said: send the patches to us, and
omit all the rest.

> Maybe the text should make that clear, so this should not be "for more
> details", but "for explanations of these rules, please read
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sending-Patches.html";

Those are neither "more details" nor "explanations", they are what we
expect from a perfect patch submit.  I don't see how we can omit them,
if we want to describe our conventions in full.  Without such a full
description, that whole section is unnecessary.