Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 07:47:37 +0000

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I dom't think that is necessarily so bad.
>
> It is: look at XEmacs, and the waste it led to.

I think we have to distinguish between a diverging fork like XEmacs and
a "parallel" fork, that aims to preserve mutual compatibility.  In the
former case, the two projects will find it more and more difficult over
time to share code, while in the latter is just a question of
organisation and administration, that doesn't matter that much to the
user.

>> Could you show me the actual proposal that was made?
>
> I suggest reading the first article in this thread.  Namely, this:
>
>>  . currently, we have a single developer who understands the
>>    specifics of the Android port and works on developing it; it is
>>    not good for Emacs to depend on a single individual for a port
>>    that should be kept alive and up-to-date for the observable future
>
>> Various messages seem to say that the code that has been written is
>> only partial support for Emacs on Android -- that some important
>> features are not yet implemented.
>
> Would you please show me any of those messages?  I've been unequivocally
> clear on this point: the port has already been completed (and was as far
> back as April.)

I recall reading that GNUTLS was not supported on Android, making it
difficult to fetch packages from ELPA.  Has this been addressed?  I
would have looked it up myself, but I don't know where to begin.