Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:55:27 -0400

  > Richard, would you please look at the thread starting at
  > <83v8fnslfz.fsf@gnu.org>, and make a final decision?

That was a big discussion and I've been very backlogged.  It seems to
be around 150 messages, according to grep.  I can't read that many!
It would take me hours.

It seems to be a matter of ease of maintenance, not directly a specific
technical point, and not an ethical issue.  I think the active maintainers
are the best people to decide this.

  >   I'm afraid that if
  > the Android port isn't eventually installed, there will be a fork,

1. Why would it be a fork, rather than updating a set of changes as has
happened with Emacs for MacOS?

2. Why would a fork be a very bad thing?

  >  and I
  > don't have the energy to work on both the fork and Emacs at the same
  > time.

3. Could you please tell me in 20 lines what the crucial issue is?
Has someone proposed a policy that we don't install a big change
if only one person can understand it?

4. Could we recruit Android wizards to help work on it?