Re: contributing to Emacs

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:24:49 -0700

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm not a developer of Emacs -- I've kibitzed around in it off and on
>> for 40+ years.  In the 80s, there was reliance on email/news for comms
>> (there wasn't much else available).  It worked good, but things got
>> misplaced once in awhile because of the disconnect between email & news.
>
> I'm sure the proper fix is for the FSF to fix the news to mail gateways
> between the various lists and GNUsenet.

Mostly yes.  Back in the early days (~1987), that happened now and then.

But more that the "flow" of email is a bit different than news and new
people (as I was then) can miss something in email (because they weren't
on all the MLs) or news (because threads split and rejoined and you
missed something).  Also, working with patches via email/news was
sometimes problematic.

Things have gotten better over time.

--
David Masterson