Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 12:56:33 +0300

On Sun, 2023-06-18 at 12:30 +0300, Konstantin Kharlamov wrote:
> On Sun, 2023-06-18 at 10:59 +0200, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> >
> > Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru> writes:
> > > more complicated. You see: these are complete no-brainer in 90% of
> > > projects.
> > > But
> > > every time I contribute here I have to think about such stuff which is
> > > completely
> > > irrelevant to the changes being sent.
> > > And how do you even get a link where to send new patch revision? I have
> > > two
> > > dozens
> > > email notifications coming to my email everyday. So I will have to search
> > > through all
> > > that stuff.
> >
> > Can this be improved with changes to debbug emails sent? Or to the
> > debbug web interface?
> >
> > For a github project (to name the elefant in the room) you also have to
> > know the URL, but there it feels easier. Can we make that easier in the
> > existing infrastructure?
>
> I will need to think about that, but I would guess there should be ways.

Okay, so, here's an obvious one: a patch series sent to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
should not create separate bugreports for every patch.

In ML-managed projects it is typical to send patches as a series, and when you
doing that results in such surprising behaviour, it creates an additional
emotional and mental load both for you and for maintainers who would need to do
something with these separate reports.