Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 12:43:56 +0300

> From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>
> Cc: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>, eliz@gnu.org, luangruo@yahoo.com,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:59:42 +0200
>
> > And then if that's not enough, from what I've seen maintainers also
> > expect you to have read CONTRIBUTE section, which is absolutely large,
> > much bigger than "Sending patches". (to be fair, if you are a new
> > contributor, you won't know it exists because "Sending patches" has no
> > mention of it).
>
> Same here. I see quite a bit of explanation in the CONTRIBUTE file that
> makes that longer than the information a contributor really has to know.

People keep asking for more and more details to be described there, so
what you expect doesn't stand the test of time and user expectations.

It is clear that you personally may not need everything there, but
CONTRIBUTE is not for you and me, or others like we.

> For a github project (to name the elefant in the room) you also have to
> know the URL, but there it feels easier. Can we make that easier in the
> existing infrastructure?

Type "gnu emacs" into an Internet search window.  The first result
will likely to be the Emacs site.  Click on "Documentation & Support"
and read there.  How hard is that?

Are we perhaps making a mountain out of a proverbial molehill?