Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 09:18:28 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 08:11:15 +0800
>
> Incorporating code in Emacs doesn't mean that we are obligated to
> support it or keep it working, it means that we will keep it working to
> the extent that interested users provide changes to do so.

>From my POV, adding a significant new port for a widely-used platform,
without a commitment to keep that port working for the observable
future, makes no sense whatsoever.  It's a decision to commit our
scarce resources when we know in advance that those resources will be
wasted on code with no future.

> i.e. the DOS port was broken between 27.1 and 28.2, but that wasn't an
> obstacle to keeping the code around.  Someone eventually fixed it.

MS-DOS is a dead platform.  It is good to keep its port alive if we
can, but no one will lament its bitrot.  Android is very different in
this regard.  So what happens with the MS-DOS port of Emacs is
entirely irrelevant to this discussion.