Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 15:08:48 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Those already exist, so we don't need to make any decisions about
> them.  That's the difference.

Were these same concerns not brought to attention when they were
introduced?  Or when the PGTK port was first introduced in a
significantly worse state?

There is a maintainer of the Android port, with the time and the means
to actively pursue its development, and its code is deliberately
structured to make synchronizing with X trivial.  The port itself
benefits users of X as well, with improved support for certain types of
input methods and input devices.

> I don't want to waste that as well: we have enough issues and future
> developments in the relevant parts of X and GTK where we could use
> your resources better.

The Android port is in fact directly pertinent to many of those future
developments in X and GTK: for instance, it is currently not possible to
use Emacs 30 on a X server with only touch-screen input, but it is on
the feature/android branch.

Some of those changes are quite extensive, and unfortunately, I don't
have the time nor the motivation to separate them from the Android port,
as I don't have the means to test any of them on X.

> If we don't seriously commit to maintaining it, that follows.

I will, however.