Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 10:27:35 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: yandros@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 15:08:48 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Those already exist, so we don't need to make any decisions about
> > them.  That's the difference.
>
> Were these same concerns not brought to attention when they were
> introduced?

Not that I know of, no.  But that doesn't mean we shouldn't have done
that, back then, if the situation was similar.

> Or when the PGTK port was first introduced in a significantly worse
> state?

PGTK is not relevant to this discussion, as I explained in another
message.

> The Android port is in fact directly pertinent to many of those future
> developments in X and GTK: for instance, it is currently not possible to
> use Emacs 30 on a X server with only touch-screen input, but it is on
> the feature/android branch.

That's not relevant: we could merge only those features from the
branch.

> Some of those changes are quite extensive, and unfortunately, I don't
> have the time nor the motivation to separate them from the Android port,
> as I don't have the means to test any of them on X.

Then I guess they are not so useful on X after all.

> > If we don't seriously commit to maintaining it, that follows.
>
> I will, however.

Relying on a single person for developing a significant port is
something I would be very uncomfortable about.  We have bad experience
with that for other ports and significant features.  There's no reason
to repeat past mistakes if we believe this is a similar situation.