Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 09:47:33 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: yandros@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 14:38:16 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > From my POV, adding a significant new port for a widely-used platform,
> > without a commitment to keep that port working for the observable
> > future, makes no sense whatsoever.
>
> That's exactly what we're doing with all the ports to widely-used
> proprietary systems: MS Windows, Mac OS, USG Unix, etc.  We don't commit
> to keeping them working, only to keep them working to the extent that
> their users do the same.

Those already exist, so we don't need to make any decisions about
them.  That's the difference.

> > It's a decision to commit our scarce resources when we know in advance
> > that those resources will be wasted on code with no future.
>
> The resources being committed are mine alone.

I don't want to waste that as well: we have enough issues and future
developments in the relevant parts of X and GTK where we could use
your resources better.

> And how do we know that the code has no future?

If we don't seriously commit to maintaining it, that follows.