Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 15:33:16 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Besides, X, PGTK, and Haiku, seem to have basically a single developer
>> at present; we both know who that is.
>
> Haiku is a niche platform, so I don't think we should be bothered by
> its fate in Emacs.
>
> X and PGTK belong to our main target platform, so if we abandon those,
> Emacs basically has no reason to exist.  Thus, comparing with those is
> not useful, because we _must_ support those as best as we can.  We
> don't have the same obligation to other platforms.

X belongs to our main target platform, as it's a part of the GNU
operating system.  Wayland is a protocol developed by the Linux graphics
developers, but is not part of GNU: we maintain its support to the
extent that its users are willing to do so, as a nicety.

> Your work is appreciated, but I'm unconvinced that it can make the
> impact of this port easy enough to not break our backs.  Rather than
> relying on beliefs, I'd like to rely on experience with other ports,
> and on general experience with Emacs development.

I designed the Android port _with_ said experience in mind.  Including
design mistakes in the Haiku and PGTK ports that I have since fixed.

> Granted, this is a judgment call, which is why I brought this up in
> the first place.

So far, the only Emacs developers who have expressed an opinion here
have been you and I.  So perhaps we should bring some other voices here:
who has any names in mind?