Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 16:02:49 +0800

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

> Wayland is very much part of the GNU operating system, most GNU/Linux
> systems already support it in some form or another, and it is the
> replacment for X11 on literally all GNU systems in some time in the
> future (seeing nobody is working on X11 anymore).

I am... well, I forsee myself being involved, if it stops working well
enough.

I've past experience with porting the X window system to a wide range of
systems.

>    So far, the only Emacs developers who have expressed an opinion here
>    have been you and I.  So perhaps we should bring some other voices here:
>    who has any names in mind?
>
> I think it should be included.  If it doesn't get maintained, a call
> can be made to get people to volunteer.

Thanks for your input.

> My only worry is how people will install it, if it requires going
> through some propietery app "store".

It doesn't: Emacs is distributed in the form of source code, and I also
provide installable binaries and their corresponding source code.

A free package repository is also distributing a very old snapshot from
February; they say updates will be easier for them if emacs.git provides
the Android port source code in the form of tagged releases.