Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 10:21:48 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: chad <yandros@gmail.com>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 14:57:40 +0800
>
> > with rather minimal deviations in the w32 case and more significant
> > deviations in the case of NS.  And even so, the w32 and NS ports are
> > already problematic: the former has basically a single
> > maintainer/developer (yours truly), the latter doesn't have even that.
>
> Then, perhaps, the NS port should be developed by ``other people'', in
> another project?

I won't mind such a move, not at all.  We basically dropped the ball
on the NS port.

> Besides, X, PGTK, and Haiku, seem to have basically a single developer
> at present; we both know who that is.

Haiku is a niche platform, so I don't think we should be bothered by
its fate in Emacs.

X and PGTK belong to our main target platform, so if we abandon those,
Emacs basically has no reason to exist.  Thus, comparing with those is
not useful, because we _must_ support those as best as we can.  We
don't have the same obligation to other platforms.

> Anyway, having intentionally designed the Android port to minimize the
> requirements placed on the part of Emacs developers, I cannot help but
> believe that your concerns are undue.

Your work is appreciated, but I'm unconvinced that it can make the
impact of this port easy enough to not break our backs.  Rather than
relying on beliefs, I'd like to rely on experience with other ports,
and on general experience with Emacs development.

Granted, this is a judgment call, which is why I brought this up in
the first place.