Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 03:54:46 -0400

   > X and PGTK belong to our main target platform, so if we abandon those,
   > Emacs basically has no reason to exist.  Thus, comparing with those is
   > not useful, because we _must_ support those as best as we can.  We
   > don't have the same obligation to other platforms.

   X belongs to our main target platform, as it's a part of the GNU
   operating system.  Wayland is a protocol developed by the Linux graphics
   developers, but is not part of GNU: we maintain its support to the
   extent that its users are willing to do so, as a nicety.

Wayland is very much part of the GNU operating system, most GNU/Linux
systems already support it in some form or another, and it is the
replacment for X11 on literally all GNU systems in some time in the
future (seeing nobody is working on X11 anymore).

   So far, the only Emacs developers who have expressed an opinion here
   have been you and I.  So perhaps we should bring some other voices here:
   who has any names in mind?

I think it should be included.  If it doesn't get maintained, a call
can be made to get people to volunteer.  My only worry is how people
will install it, if it requires going through some propietery app
"store".