Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:22:09 +0800

Manuel Giraud <manuel@ledu-giraud.fr> writes:

> I'm far from being an Emacs developer but here is my 2 cents anyway.  As
> Eli said he would not be opposed to drop the NS port (for it to be
> handled somewhere else), why not « trade » the NS port for the Android
> one?  Should the Android port become stale (with zero dev or whatever),
> we could later drop this port too?

FWIW, I'm in favor of dropping _none_ of the ports.  NS is in a bad
state, but is still much better than when it was first included: then,
multiple Emacs users reported it in a completely unusable state, not
even capable of running subprocesses without lock-ups, yet it still
replaced Carbon Emacs.

I feel obliged to mention, again, that when the NS port was installed,
there was no commitment from anyone to keep it maintained.  And it was
actually broken.